You can feel it before you enter the room. The stirring of emotions. Anger, sadness, anxiety, joy. And now you feel unsettled. Have you ever been with a depressed friend and after leaving them you find yourself sinking in depression? Or ask your lover what is wrong and he/she says nothing and you know in your gut something is wrong, they just don’t know it, yet?
Empaths are people who feel the emotions of people around them. They can feel the energy in the room. I believe most of us are empathic, just not all of us tune into it.
Tools to help:
1. Know you. Awareness and acknowledgement. Listen to your gut. Address your needs. It is easy to become a sponge sucking up everyone’s emotions and losing your own. Know when you are overwhelmed. Know when to set boundaries. Know when you need time to decompress and sort through the web of emotions you are tangled in. Take time each day, to ask yourself, "Is this mine or someone else's?" If it's not yours, let it go.
2. Boundaries. Being an empath doesn’t mean you have to hold someone else’s emotions. It just means you are aware. You can bring their attention to what you are feeling. But you don’t have to hold it, because it’s not yours to hold. It’s theirs. So, give it back. Taking it on does no good for you or them. Even by acknowledging the feeling, you are releasing it.
3. Support system. Have people you can turn to. That you can talk to. Those people who will listen to you. Those people who will jump in the hole with you and just be. Don’t discount your pets, if you have them. Dogs, cats and horses can be incredible healing allies.
1. Crystals. Rose Quartz is the crystal of unconditional love. Carry this stone in your pocket to remind you that you are unconditionally loved. As well as, that to love others you don’t have to take on their stuff. Black Tourmaline is a protective crystal. Carry this crystal to give you an added buffer between you and the world.
2. Colored light. Before you venture out of your house, or room. Before you deal with the world. Surround yourself in a bubble of light, any color, just not black. Throw in some glitter, because glitter is reflective and negativity can bounce off of your glitter.
3. Bug zapper. Start with the colored light above. Now imagine that you are inside a bug zapper, only this bug zapper zaps away negativity and all that does not serve your highest good.
4. Salt bath with aromatherapy and herbs. Epson salt or Himalayan salt is very cleansing. After a long hard day, take a bath with either salt. Set the intention that the salt water is taking away all that has stuck to you, consciously or unconsciously. You can also add lemon or lime juice or essential oils, both are also very cleansing and clearing. You can also add fresh lemon grass or lemon balm which are also very clearing (don’t have fresh herbs add the oils).
5. Release and Refill. Great to do at the end of the day. Click for the meditation. Get comfortable, either sitting or lying down. Set the intention, out loud, that you are, “Releasing and letting go all that no longer serves you consciously or unconsciously for your highest spiritual good.” Allow it to drain away, going into the Earth to be recycled. Once you feel that you have released everything. Let the Earth’s energy spiral up from the Earth and fill you. Let cosmic energy spiral from the sky through your crown and fill you. As you fill yourself, say, “I love me!” and “I love you!” Set the intention that you are filling you with you.
Being an empath can be amazing. It can help you connect to people and even help people better understand themselves. Being an empath doesn’t have to feel like a burden or a weight. It is your magical power, that helps you navigate your world.